We having a 12 beded dedicated PICU with a different unit of Paediatric Cardiac ICU of 8 beds. We also have isolation room and a ECMO room for dedicated patients with special need.
The pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) was established in 1993 and was the first unit in the northern India. It was started with a four bedded unit with 2 nurses, basic monitoring equipment and only one ventilator. Since then it has grown leaps and bounds forwards. Now this is a multi disciplinary unit with 12 beds, with isolation facilities for potentially infectious or immunodeficient patients, with 1:1 patient nurse ratio and has ‘state-of-the-art’ equipments for the real time continuous monitoring of vital signs in critically ill children.
Every year, around 1000 children receive life-saving care in this technically very advanced unit with the outcomes comparable with international standards. At the PICU, critically sick patients with complex clinically challenging situations are referred and transferred from primary referring centres and tertiary care hospitals in Delhi, neighbouring states and various countries like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka for tertiary level care and organ transplants.
Specialty About Center
- Oldest and only center in India where pediatric pulmonology and critical care is merged and doctors are trained to provide both under one roof
- Only center in north india where allergy sevices (allergy testing, desensitization ) are linked with pediatric pulmonology
- Providing home ventilation services for past 16 years.
- Treatment of diseases like MDR tuberculosis, cystic fibrosis , sleep disorder in children, foreign body aspiration, neuromuscular disorders, rare lung disease.
- In north India only center which is having - Pediatric Airway Reconstruction Unit – Pediatric bronchoscopist, Neonatal and Pediatric cardio thoracic surgeon, pediatric surgeon, pediatric Otorhinolaryngologists
- Advanced procedures – ECMO, single lung ventilation, thoracoscopic lung biosy, endobronchial ultrasound guided lung biopsy, lung ultrasound, inhaled nitric oxide, sedation services, bronchoscopy facilitated intubation, thoracosopy, USG guided procedures like chest tube placement, intracranial pressure monitoring.
- Only center in North India with in house genetic and Metabolic department which is essential for any tertiary center
- Only center with pediatric neurosurgical team which exclusively caters pediatric age group